"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
One of the few good things in the Bible. It's from the famous "judge not, that ye be not judged" bit.
First, I would like to state that I am in no way affiliated with the Texas Aggie Conservatives, the organisation which circulated the pamphlets below, and I certainly do not necessarily agree with their conclusions about Islam. I have, however, checked the Qur'anic and hadith quotes they used and confirmed that Islamic teachings were not grossly misrepresented by them though I suspect that they have not actually read the scriptures themselves. For example, if they were genuinely familiar with the Qur'an, they would also know that 4:34 also talks about denying sex to and beating disobedient wives - that's a really conspicuous omission in their reference of the verse. I also dislike the factoids about honour killing and female genital mutilation because they are more cultural practices than they are actual Islamic ones. There are far more juicier and accurate examples of um, "gender inequality" in the Religion of Submission that they could have used, is what I'm trying to get at.
Oh, no, I'm definitely not criticising the practices and teachings of Islam here. Islam is always right. Islam is the super best religion in the world, hokay? I repeat: these are not my pamphlets,
In some parts of the world, the "face" consists only of the eyes and the bridge of the nose.
The mouth and chin is presumably part of the neck.
Took all that in? Good.
The reason why I write far more about Christianity in comparison to Islam in my weblog here is because many Christians are frequently hypocrites who pretend that their faith is so much more wholesome compared to everyone else's and the Texas Aggie Conservatives is one of the worst species of Christian hypocrites there is - also, (a) Islam already has pretty bad PR (b) I just happen to know the Bible better than the Qur'an, and (c) I don't want to die. Christianity is hardly the bastion of women's liberation in the Church's long and malignant history, and in many aspects, the Biblical treatment of women is often worse than the Qur'an's.
The flyers are also laughable because a lot of their admittedly justified denunciations of Islam can easily be reversed onto the circulators' own Jesus cult. There are numerous references in the Bible to how men are created superior to woman and should have authority over the physically inferior sex. And many supposedly holy and righteous men in the Bible are frequently polygamists as well. In fact in Leviticus, God explicitly said that the market price of women are only about half the worth of men in shekels.
Consider these Biblical verses,
- "Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee" - Genesis 3:16. God on how women deserve to be miserable, to suffer in childbirth and to be subjugated by men.
- "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's" - Exodus 20:17. God says that a man's wife is his property, much like livestock in the Ten Commandments. This is reaffirmed in Deuteronomy 5:21.
- "And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even, et cetera, et cetera..." - Leviticus 15:19-33. God talking about how menstruating women are dirty, icky and full of cooties.
- "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you." - Deuteronomy 22:23-24. God says that a woman who got raped in the city and did not cry for help loud enough needs to be fucking stoned to death.
- "If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29. God commands that if you rape a virgin, you get to marry her so long as you pay some cash.
- "And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." - Matthew 19:29. Jesus says that he will reward you if you ditch your wife (and everyone else) in his name. Luke agrees in 18:29-30.
- "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." - 1 Corinthians 11:3. Women should be subordinate to men the same way that men are subordinate to the Son of God™.
- "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 34-35. Women are not allowed to speak in church.
- "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." 1 Timothy 2:11-12. In other words, women aren't allowed to teach men and generally need to shut the fuck up 'cause men are the boss of them.
Dismiss all these pharisaical squabbles between pious pots and zealous kettles about how their own faith degrades women less in comparison to other faiths - they are, in essence, all of one colour. I am an atheist and when I say that I believe men and women are equal, you know that I am telling the truth.
That's because I am better than them.
P.S. In fact, I am better than even my lapsed Presbyterian girlfriend who thinks that women are naturally malicious and are inferior to men, and that they deserve everything they get and then some. She never made it clear if she was joking or not.
P.P.S. I know that a conservative does not a Christian make (and vice versa) but according to this 2009 Public Religion Research Institute poll, US conservative activists are "almost exclusively Christian".
A godless male feminist,
k0k s3n w4i